Sunday, December 23, 2007

Lovely Complex Review


This series was very amusing. I didn't think I would be able to get past the height difference between the main characters. (Not that it would be a problem in real life but I watch anime to live in a little escapist world where every guy is a Tuxedo Mask, and I'm sorry but Tuxedo Mask is tall.) It's definitely a romantic comedy with more comedy than romance, but it's formulaic in the typical romance anime way. You know, they can't get together for *insert reason*, they finally get together, *insert rival*, they get over that one, *insert new rival*, it did lack the obligatory love triangle so it wasn't too awful. The formula-ness started about 2/3rds of the way through and it made it a little boring for me, probably because the comedy died down around those episodes as well. However, the first 2/3rds of the series was laugh-out-loud-bust-your-gut ridiculously hilarious. It was funny on par with Midori No Hibi
and Those Who Hunt Elves. It's definitely worth the watch. I think it would be especially accessible to people who aren't necessarily in it for the cheesy romance - although there was plenty of very sweet cheesiness. Shoujo Beat ran the first chapter of this as a preview a few months back, I might check out the manga but I'm kind of reluctant too because the anime had a pretty good conclusion. I don't really see how the story could expand any further than it did in the anime. I also keep hearing that the live action was just awesome so I definitely plan on getting that soon.

I'm taking a quick break from romance anime to catch up on Naruto Shippuden (lol yes I watch riff raff as well), but I'll keep the blog updated with news and my thoughts on romance manga. I'll probably watch Season II of the Japanese Hana Yori Dango Live Action after that. So many great romantic animes and dramas to look forward too. I'm also eternally waiting for Greencine to send me the first disc of Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (The Wallflower or Perfect Girl Evolution) and the next disc of Kodocha. I have all the discs for Kaleido Star, which I was planning to watch during this school break but my parents DVD player doesn't read the discs. *sigh* .-.

1 comment:

Paola said...

Ah! The manga for Lovely complex is MUCH better than the anime.

The anime stops following the manga after episode 20 or so, then it skips to the ending.

The ending of the anime is pretty much the same ending of the manga, but the manga has far more developing of the characters and their love story :]